Monday, March 8, 2010

Glee

As I watched the pilot episode to glee, I was reminded of a show I loved to watch when I was young, Freaks and Geeks!


href="">

Anyway....back to Glee

I organized this blog entry a little differently.

Quotes and phrases that "spoke" to me:

Sue, the cheerleading coach, names the "high school cast system" into the populars and the "invisibles" and puts the glee club in the "sub-basement."

"Myspace schedule"

"Kids feel invisable that is why they have a Myspace page"

"Tired of being laughed at"

"Being part of something special, makes people special."

"They follow the leader"

"glee conflicts with..." "reputation"

"Children like to know where they stand"

Ways this show attempts to ____________ the dominant ideologies. (Fill in the blank)

Choir teacher is apparently homosexual (or at least is portrayed as a homosexual)

Rachel has 2 homosexual fathers

They included a student in a wheelchair (although he is picked on and geekish)

Football player has a single mother, never knew his dad

Pokes fun at the coffee budget being cut for a nutritionist for the cheerleading crew

The glee club consisted of 1 Asian, 1 student in a wheelchair, 1 African American, 1 white boy with a female style voice, 1 unpopular white girl, and a jock (pretty diverse)

Shows cheerleaders cyberbullying Rachel

Overall

Enjoyable
Entertaining
Pushes back against stereotypes a bit
Strengthens other stereotypes
Inclusive




I also had a lot on teachers but thought it was not necessary to include since this is a teens in media course :)

2 comments:

Cousin Tom said...

I love the freaks and geeks clip :) Although I think that the face they "include" all these different stereotypes doesn't really help tap the glass because the stereotypes are so blatantly obvious and narrow-minded. Just my opinion tho.

Adam said...

I also loved the freaks and geeks clip.